Update | 29 November 2010
Final findings and recommendations of the Summer Task Force were ratified on November 29, 2010.
About the Task Force on Summer and Intersession Enrichment
The State Legislative Task Force on Summer and Intersession Enrichment was created in 2008 after the passing of Assembly Concurrent Resolution 134, authored by California Senator Mark DeSaulnier and sponsored by the Partnership for Children and Youth.
The goal of the Task Force is to build awareness about the gap in structured learning and enrichment opportunities for low-income children in the summertime. Chaired by Senator DeSaulnier, the Task Force produced a set of recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature on what the state's role should be in addressing the summer gap.
Task Force Objectives
- Promote good health and combat obesity by increasing education and awareness of the benefits of good nutrition and regular physical exercise and activity.
- Provide safe, supervised places for children and youth to be during the summer months.
- Provide enrichment activities and experiential learning that complement the school year curriculum, but offer other opportunities not found in school.
- Prevent summer learning loss among California's children.
- Leverage health insurance programs and health care services.
Task Force Roster
Senator Mark DeSaulnier, Chair
Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Assemblymember Tom Ammiano
Assemblymember Steven Bradford
Jennifer Peck | Executive Director, Partnership for Children and Youth
Robert Cabeza | Executive Director, YMCA of Greater Long Beach
Yvette Radford | Vice President of External and Community Affairs, Kaiser Permanente
Richard Groper | Professor, California State University, Los Angeles
Elena Stern | Vice President of Communications and External Affairs, Para Los Niños
Cesar Calderon | President and Chief Executive Officer, Soledad Enrichment Action
Linda Davis-Alldritt | California Department of Education Consultant, School Nurse, Health Services
Read More About Summer Learning and Enrichment
Questions About the Task Force on Summer and Intersession Enrichment?